On this website we post links and information about various current events and professional opportunities for graduate students available both on our campus and elsewhere. In particular, here is a link to the Recent Opportunities and the Archive of Opportunities. Our department encourages and awards graduate student excellence. In particular, we nominate and select our students for department and external awards. See Mathematics Department Graduate Awards and Graduate Awards from outside organizations.
Mathematics graduate students looking for employment should consider these fundamental resources: Employment Services for PhD Mathematicians including a link to mathjobs.org. For those interested in applied and computational mathematics, the website SIAM jobs is great resource of postings and information, including that about internships. The jobs and positions are also advertised in various journals and electronic newsletters such as NA Digest and through the email list SIAM CSE, the biggest Activity Group in SIAM. Students interested in teaching and more broadly academic positions should consult the job search engine at Chronicle of Higher Education. Graduate School and Career Services have provided a link to PhD Student Seeking an Academic Position timeline, and a more general extensive website on Career Services.
Some information is not available through these general postings and is sent to our faculty directly. See the Archive of Opportunities.
DEPARTMENT AND UNIVERSITY EVENTS FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
You are welcome to attend various events organized by the department, Graduate School, and University. Some require registration, so please watch out for the deadlines
- Lasagna potluck video, Saturday Feb. 11, 2017.
- Professional development night for careers in mathematical sciences, Winter term: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 5:00-7:00pm, GLK 113.
- Graduate student social in the new lounge, with a visit from Graduate Dean October 21, 2016. See group picture. (More pictures).
- New Mathematics Graduate Student 2016-17 Orientation Friday, September 16, 2016 at 0830-1700 in Kidd 350.
- Graduate School Welcome week Sep.12-16, 2016
- Graduate student-Graduate Committee meeting June 1, 2016.
- Lasagna Dinner potluck event and contest Feb. 20, 2016; See the winners (including the prize for a Generalized and Ultra-Weak Lasagna) Bruno Barbosa, Kirana Bergstrom, Dionisus Birnbaum, Sarah Erickson, Marie Franzosa, Duncan McGregor.
- "It is never too early nor too late to work on your professional portfolio" Mathematics event
CONFERENCES, WORKSHOPS, INTERNSHIPS, AND SUMMER SCHOOLS
Graduate students are encourage to participate in a variety of professional activities on campus and elsewhere, with various travel support available. Our students participate in the mathematical events local to Pacific Northwest, have traveled to summer schools (e.g., to MSRI (of which we are a member) and to IMA), and participated in various internships and national and international conferences. See the recent list of students who were successful in getting travel and other awards. We advertise the events for graduate students in the Newsletter, by occasional email, and we keep track of these in the list of graduate opportunities.Graduate School maintains a professional development website.
See graduate student travel support, and the matrix for Graduate School awards.
See also Graduate-Travel, an archive of recent graduate student travel.
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
OSU Graduate School Awards are listed here. See also Graduate School 2016-17 awards matrix with deadlines and other information. Students interested in being nominated should discuss it with their adviser.
- NSF Graduate Fellowship information (Deadline for Mathematics October 28, 2016). [Please talk to your adviser about this]. You can also participate in a session organized by Graduate School that can help you to write the proposal. Register here
- The Department of Energy's Office of Science is now accepting applications for the Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) program (2016 Solicitation 2). Applications are due 5:00pm Eastern Time on Monday November 21, 2016. The SCGSR program provides doctoral dissertation/thesis research opportunities for graduate students (open to graduate students with Permanent Resident status, in addition to U.S. Citizens, who meet all other eligibility requirements) at DOE national laboratories. Details about the program and online application can be found at http://science.energy.gov/wdts/scgsr/
- MSRI Graduate Summer School [Department deadline Nov.15, 2016 for advisers to nominate their students to Graduate Committee]. MSRI deadline: December 1, 2016 at 10:00am Pacific Time through February 1, 2017.
- College of Science travel support guidelines.
- Grad School travel awards with deadlines in 2016-17: Nov.2, Feb. 1, May 2, August 1. [Department deadlines for nominations in 2016/17: Oct.15, Jan. 19 , April 15, July 1.
- Fulbright U.S. Scholar Postdoctoral Awards, deadline August 1, 2016.
- Wei Family Private Foundation scholarships, for students of Chinese heritage pursuing a degree in the College of Science. Deadline: March 31st, 2016