Welcome to this webpage!
HW assignments (3 possible scores: 0 if mostly wrong answers, or not turned in, 1 for some wrong and some right answers, 2 for mostly right answers):
HW 1 (due Fr 09/29): 19.1g and m, 19.5e, 19.11, 19.15, 20.4, 20.6 Solutions.
HW 2 (due Fr 10/06): 20.7a and b, 20.8, 20.12a,b and c, 20.14, 20.15 Solutions
HW 3 (due 10/13): 19.1i,k,n, 21.1b (but use the right endpoints as in the lecture notes) and 21.6 Solutions
HW 4 (due Fr 10/20): No HW this week. Prepare for the midterm!
HW5 (due Fr 10/27): 22.3c,f, 22.4b,e, 22.7,23.1d,23.7,23.8e Solutions
HW6 (due Fr 11/03):23.3, 23.7,23.8a,c,23.9b Solutions
HW7 (due Mon 11/13):23.10, do the 2 exercises at the end of p33 in the lecture notes, 25.1,25.2,25.3.
HW8 (due Fr 11/17): no HW
HW9 (due Wed 11/22): no HW Happy Thanksgiving!
HW10 (Wed 11/29): 25.4 a and c (only find the mean which is same as the expectation), 25.7 (b and c).
Do the 2 exercise on p.49-50, and on p. 55 of the lecture notes. Solutions
- Calendar for fall 2017.
- Lecture Notes. (Will be updated on a regular basis as we progress through the term)
- The textbook is available (both hard copy and digital version) from Amazon for about $60. An online version of $36 is also available from Google Store.
- A copy of the textbook has been placed on Course Reserve in the Valley Library.
- Recitation Notes. (Will be updated on a regular basis as we progress through the term)
- Check out the Mathematics and Statistics Learning Center open house, on Monday Oct 9, 11am-2pm.
- Here is the Sample midterm 1 and here is the
- As I'm traveling the rest of this week, there will be no office hour on Fr Oct 20. If you have questions, please email me, or contact the TA.
- I'm traveling again this week, and there will not be an office hour on Fr Oct 27. If you have questions, please email me, or contact the TA.
- Date/time/location of Final Exam: Tuesday December 5/ noon-1:50pm / KEAR 112.
- Some students have asked me about the grade scale for this course:
A >= 90%, A- >=85%, B+ >=75%, B >=70%, C+ >=65%, C >= 60%, D+ >= 55%, D >= 50%, F <50%. The weights of the various items that make up your grade, are in the syllabus.
- Check out these resources by the Academic Success Center.
- Here is the solutions key to midterm 1.
- Here is the Sample midterm 2. This midterm covers part II Integration (p15-33) in the lecture notes. Formula sheets, notes or calculators will not be allowed. Here is the answer key.
- Here is the solutions key to midterm 2.
The Final Exam is cumulative and will cover all 4 parts of the lecture notes.
This exam will have a format that is very similar to those of the 2 midterms. There will be about 10 multiple choice questions and about 4 open problems which will receive partial credit. For sample problems on Parts I and II, look at the sample midterms and the midterms which have been posted above with their solution key.
The final exam will be a closed book exam and the use of calculators will not be permitted. You may however use a one-sided formula sheet after it has been approved by the instructor at the beginning of the exam.
- Here are sample problems for Parts III and IV of the Final Exam. A solution key will be posted here on Monday afternoon or early evening before the Final Exam.
Here is the solution key for the sample Final Exam.