Mathematics graduate students planning travel to conferences, workshops and summer schools have several overlapping ways to find travel support. See recent travel of graduate students.
- Many organizations/agencies /institutions responsible for the event such as AMS, SIAM etc. have special funds set aside for graduate student travel support: (full or partial). The application process varies, but it typically involves submitting your CV, statement of objectives or similar, and providing one (or more) letter of recommendation. Your adviser will be able to provide advice on these opportunities as well as suggest where and how to apply.
- If more support is needed, you can apply for travel support from the Graduate School, College, and Department.
These awards are quite competitive, and typically preference is given to advanced students presenting their work at national or international events.
- For Graduate School travel awards, see Graduate School Travel award. Your adviser must nominate you for this support to the Graduate Committee, which can recommend only one nominee from the department to the Graduate School for this award in any round of competition. Only students who have filed their Program of Study can be considered.
- The 2021 deadlines for the Graduate School travel awards as announced in Fall 2020 are: February 1, May 3, August 2 with department deadlines, respectively: January 15, April 15, and July 15.
- The College of Science has a travel award fund that provides some travel funds for international conferences; see COSSTA for information and deadlines.
- Mathematics also has a travel award program. Students applying for Graduate School and College of Science travel awards should also submit their applications to the Mathematics Graduate Committee to be considered for matching funds. Students applying for the Mathematics Graduate Award should contact the Graduate Coordinator for information. Priority is given to students presenting research results.
- The Graduate School also administers a Professional Development Award. Students apply directly to the Graduate School for consideration.
Many of our students have been quite successful obtaining travel support. See travel awards listed at awards website and Graduate Travel listing.
See also http://math.oregonstate.edu/graduate-current-faq#travelfunding